DataFirst is involved in training and technical support for microdata management and usage in Africa. Training undertaken by the unit includes regular workshops on survey analysis to train African quantitative social scientists.
The unit also maintains the website for a web course on The Analysis of South African Household Survey Data which is a distance learning tool to advance regional quantitative analysis skills. The course is free and self-paced.
DataFirst works with the International Household Survey Network's OECD funded project, the Accelerated Data Program to provide tools and training for the management and dissemination of African census and survey microdata.
This diploma is intended to equip participants with the survey and data skills to contribute to the policy debates in South Africa and the world. Both the practical data skills as well as the theoretical understanding of the development and policy context will be emphasised. Find out more.
Please note: To minimise the spread of COVID-19, the University of Cape Town has opted to minimise physical contact as far as possible. Our courses will be offered online. Click on the course name for more information.
- Analysing Spatial Data using R | 12 to 13 July 2021
- Introduction to Data Analysis using Stata | Tentative dates 26 to 28 July 2021
- Understanding the South African Labour Market | This course will start in the first week of August. Dates will be confirmed soon.
- Measuring Economic Welfare | This course will start in the first week of August. Dates will be confirmed soon.
- Measuring Consumption | This course will start in the first week of August. Dates will be confirmed soon.
- Introduction to Data Analysis using R
- Multiple Imputation in Household Surveys using Stata | November 2021
- Econometrics short course | Next course will run in January 2022
- Understanding Complex Social Survey Data | Next course will run in January 2022
- Understanding Panel Survey Data | Next course will run in January 2022