DataFirst is involved in training and technical support for microdata management and usage in Africa. Training undertaken by the unit includes regular workshops on survey analysis to train African quantitative social scientists.
The unit also maintains the website for a web course on The Analysis of South African Household Survey Data which is a distance learning tool to advance regional quantitative analysis skills. The course is free and self-paced.
DataFirst works with the International Household Survey Network's OECD funded project, the Accelerated Data Program to provide tools and training for the management and dissemination of African census and survey microdata.
This diploma is intended to equip participants with the survey and data skills to contribute to the policy debates in South Africa and the world. Both the practical data skills as well as the theoretical understanding of the development and policy context will be emphasised. Find out more.
Please note: To minimise the spread of COVID-19, the University of Cape Town has opted to minimise physical contact as far as possible. Our courses will be offered online. Click on the course name for more information.
- Introduction to Data Analysis using Stata | 9 to 11 March 2021 | Apply Online.
- Econometrics short course | This course will run for 10 weeks online, with one 1.5 hour lecture and one 1.5 hour Stata practical per week. This course will start the week of 15 March. | Apply Online.
- Understanding Complex Social Survey Data | This course will run for 10 weeks online, with one 1.5 hour lecture and one 1.5 hour Stata practical per week. This course will start during the week of 15 March. | Apply online.
- Understanding Panel Survey Data | This course will run for 10 weeks online, with one 1.5 hour lecture and one 1.5 hour Stata practical per week. This course will start during the week of 15 March. | Apply online.
- Introduction to Data Analysis using R | To be confirmed
- Analysing Spatial Data using R | To be confirmed
- Measuring Consumption| July 2021
- Understanding the South African Labour Market | July 2021
- Measuring Economic Welfare | July 2021
- Multiple Imputation in Household Surveys using Stata | June/July 2021